Wednesday 3 December 2008

Joshua's poem

Joshua is an old student of St Laurensia who is now studying in the frozen wastes of Canada. He still keps in touch with many of his old friends here and has been a great help in building awareness of this website and supporting the kids who are doing such a great job.


Slam Poetry
Zoo
I have been for the last ten years at St. Andrew’s,
for some people this place is like witches’ brew
which I disagree, people knew
that I really believe this is like a zoo
I live in Memorial House
Which is more like a hiding place for a mouse
Everyday I come out across the Quad
Which is more like a cage for a lion getting mad
Math class, period one,
I have Mr C who teaches us like a bird,
because whenever he teaches, he always chirps
History class, period two,
I have Mr S who teaches us like a tiger,
he always wants us to be wired
Lunchtime!
What a break for a good day so far in the zoo, without any crime
But hey, I saw the gangsters who acted like bulls
I really think they should be kicked out of the school
The Dining Hall cooks our food
their quick serving makes them look like a quick-paced kangaroo
All the teachers gather round together,
which makes them appear to be a group of spiders
And the students, too, together collected
a group of chimpanzees, I am not affected
Economics, period three,
Another Mr S teaches us like a snake,
because in economy, there is always money to make
Last class, Philosophy,
There is Mr R, a super big Rhino,
Who always discusses Socrates and Plato
Ah! School finished,
university counselling like a pool untarnished
There he is, Mr Swan
I think you know what animal I am talking about – well, just for fun!
Sports, here we go,
a group of people playing squash, like a herd of hippos,
Or else, they moved quickly like monkeys,
or they just whine when they lose, that makes them look like donkeys
Back to Memorial House,
oh, all animals inside their rooms, every animal with their spouse
I went upstairs to take a bath
the whole washroom appear to be a cave full of bats!
Oh, who’s on duty for study tonight?
I hope it’s not Mr X who is acting like a termite!
Oooh, it’s not him, because if it really is, I can’t stand the pain
It’s Mr P, who is more like a crane
But I was not in that house for study, not one bit
I was in Mac House, which is now like more like a cage for rabbits
Hey, there is Mr D, his hair appear to be a peacock’s,
And Mr G, asking me, “Where are you supposed to be?!” appeared to be a croc
I answered, “Oh this is for a project.”
He went away, like a purring cat!
Oh, I am back in my room,
which really, looks like an ant hole zoomed
Kitchen is open, all animals come down
All having their food, like hungry clowns
Ha! Those Montreal Canadiens fans, looking at Koivu shooting a puck
Koivu himself, playing hockey like a duck
Nobody other than me supports the Senators
who are playing aggressively like dinosaurs
Bed time, the Res Don
traveling around appears to be a butterfly with wings torn
but who cares about lights out,
we are still studying, watching movies, moving around like trout
Finally, though, we came to slumber
Closing our eyes, while the dogs start to rumble
So, how did you enjoy the visit to our humble zoo, my friend?
I hope you had a great time!
( Joshua Irwandi)

1 comment:

Joshua Irwandi said...

Thanks guys!

I will keep in touch whenever I can. Things are getting busier here these days, especially we are close to the X'mas break.

All the best!

- Josh -